In this tutorial you will create a game in which Santa drops presents down chimneys. Watch out for the smoke!
NOTE: You can use any version of Scratch.
Complete these steps ..
1. Open Scratch, OR create a new game (from the top menu choose "File>New").
2. Download, save and then open this game file ..
3. Now select the stage and add the following scripts ..
4. Select the Santa sprite and click the "Only face left-right" button ..
If you are using Scratch desktop add this code ..
Now add the first code/script ..
Press the "B" (for Begin) key on your keyboard and Santa should shrink down.
5. Use the File menu to save your game. Name it "Santa’s sleigh v1" ..
6. Santa's sleigh will move automatically but the player will be able to control it's direction with the 4 arrow keys.
Add the following code/script ..
Test your game. Press the "B" key on your keyboard and then use the arrow keys.
Press "E" for end when you are ready to continue working on your game.
7. Let's make Santa’s sleigh reappear on the opposite side of the stage, and change the stage background image, when it reaches the edge. Add this code/script ..
Test your game.
Press "E" when you are ready to continue working on your game.
8. Use the File menu to save your game.
9. The game involves dropping the Present down the yellow chimneys. We need to keep score every time a Present successfully hits the Chimney.
Select the Variable scripts and click the "make a variable" button to create this variable ..
10. Let's add the code/script to make the presents fall from the sleigh when you press the space-bar on your keyboard.
Select the present sprite and add this code/script ..
Now add the code/script to make it fall whenever the space-bar is pressed ..
Press the "B" key to test your game. You should be able to control Santa’s Sleigh with the arrow keys and press the space-bar to drop the present down the chimney.
When you are ready press "E" to end your game and continue working on it.
11. Use the File menu to save your game.
12. Finally, let's code/script the smoke that drifts up from the Chimney and takes points away if it touches the sleigh.
Select the Smoke sprite under the stage and add the first code/script ..
Now add the code/script to make the smoke drift upwards every now and then ..
Now add the code/script to make the Smoke sprite take away points when it touches Santa's sleigh ..
Press the "B" key to test your game. Every now and then, the Smoke should drift up from the Chimney.
When you are ready, press the "E" key to end your game and continue working on it.
13. Use the File menu to save your game.
14. You've finished this tutorial. Well done!