Our online Scratch coding courses are an ideal way to experience our lessons at home. Try a free lesson.
£24.99 or less
In this exercise you will make sprites change size when they touch one another.
NOTE: You can use any version of Scratch.
Complete these steps ..
1. Open Scratch, OR create a new game (from the top menu choose "File>New").
2. Use the "Paint new sprite" button under the stage ..
.. and paint a cake like this ..
Re-name it "Cake".
3. Select the Cat sprite under the stage ..
Change it's name from "sprite1" to "Cat" ..
4. Click the middle direction button to ensure Mr Cat can only face left or right ..
.. OR .. if you are using Scratch 3 add this script/code ..
5. Look at the image below and add the code to the Cat sprite ..
6. Use the File menu to save your game. Name it "Eating cake v1" ..
7. Now add the code to the Cat so the player can control its movements with the arrow keys on their keyboard ..
Press "B" on your keyboard to test the arrow keys. The Cat should walk around the stage.
When you are ready press "E" to end your game and continue working on it.
8. Select the Cake sprite. Look at the image below and add the code to it ..
9. Use the File menu to save your game.
10. Well done! You've finished this tutorial. Can you paint a background for your game or add your own sprites and ideas?